Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Girl and The Bicycle


I love seeing my children's imagination run wild. I love when my nearly 5 year-old daughter, Molly, does a puppet show, or puts on a play for me. Seeing her imagination and her story telling develop has been incredible over the last two years. She's becoming creative, dynamic and artistic. 

This book recommended to us by Miss Nancy at The Storybook Shoppe is called The Girl and The Bicycle. It gives my daughter an opportunity to tell a story and push her imagination and creativity.  There are no words in this book -- it's entirely pictures. 

A little girl sees a beautiful shinny green bicycle while walking down the street with her brother.  She immediately runs home to see if has enough money in her piggy bank. 


When she discovers doesn't have enough money, she figures out innovative ways to make some, including working for an older woman raking leaves, shoveling snow and planting flowers.


In the spring, when she finally has enough money to buy the bike, it's not there! What happens next is the most endearing act of kindness between a sister and brother, and then the older woman and little girl. 

Because of the way this story is drawn, my storytelling daughter was able to tell me all this incredibly well! Page by page, vignette by vignette, Molly was able to articulate exactly what was happening on the page. 

I suspect it's tremendous not only for her story telling and imagination, but for her language development as well.  I am not kidding when I tell you I cried at the end of this story, and if you are sentimental at all, my guess is you will too.  It's a fabulous book and I highly recommend it.   Buy it now right here on our blog, for that story teller you may know! We will give 10% OFF to help defray the cost of shipping. 


BUY IT NOW
Regularly $15.99
 Take 10% OFF plus shipping and tax 

No comments:

Post a Comment